Friday, April 17, 2009

5 Minutes To Decadence and Belly Laughs!!!

Leisl recently had some time off School with another bout of Tonsillitis. Another day off work for me, part of the joys of juggling children and part-time work! But it couldn't be helped, she was sick, she needed her Mum and that was all there was to it.
Well, knowing that she loves to cook, I thought that she and I could try out this Mug Cake recipe that I had been emailed. (Thank you to the numerous people that emailed me a copy of this - you know who you are and you are sooooo in trouble!!!!!)
5 MINUTE CHOCOLATE MUG CAKE
4 tablespoons flour 
4 tablespoons sugar 
2 tablespoons cocoa 
1 egg 
3 tablespoons milk 
3 tablespoons oil 
3 tablespoons chocolate chips (optional) 
a small splash of vanilla extract 
1 large coffee mug
Add dry ingredients to mug, and mix well.
Add the egg and mix thoroughly.
Pour  in the milk and oil and mix well.
Add the chocolate chips (if using) and vanilla extract, and mix again. 
Put your mug in the microwave and cook for 3 minutes at 1000 watts.
The cake will rise over the top of the mug, but don't be alarmed!
Allow to cool a little, and tip out onto a plate if desired. 
EAT!
P4016500 Well we dutifully followed the recipe. Note the part that says "The cake will rise over the top of the mug, but don't be alarmed!" Well this is what happened...
P4016506 When I read that note, I was certainly not expecting it to rise over the mug that much!!!!
What do they mean don't be alarmed??
Leisl and I got a good belly laugh out of it, she was more than a little tickled by the whole episode and happily sat down to eat it.
P4016507 I, on the other hand...thought "mug cake hmmm I don't think so!" And proceeded to transfer all the contents into a large pasta Bowl....
P4016516 The end result was absolutely delicious! Definitely large enough for 2 people to consume and very yummy! I did what any woman in my position would do...I rang my neighbour and invited her over to "help" me eat it. Which was just lovely. And very funny!
Isn't that typical, what we expected and what we ended up with were vastly different realities, despite our careful adherence to the instructions provided. Life's a bit like that too isn't it. We kind of have an expectation for how things are going to go, we carefully follow the instructions we've been given and what do you know the cup overflows and it gets kind of messy for a while but it's still good.
Worth the effort and so worth the belly laugh!!!
Enjoy, with Leisl, and my, blessings!
P4016502

No comments: