And my heart feels heavy.
I have no logical reason to feel this way…..it’s just that I get a sense of the deep loneliness that she is feeling. It seems unbelievable to me really. Others would perceive her to be totally together and not in the least bit “lonely”.
Yet she is.
She told me that she feels like she has no friends.
And it got me thinking…I often feel like that. My daughters, aged 8 and 9, often feel like that. Nearly every young Mum I have spoken to, has at some point felt like that.
I feel like grabbing these special girls and yelling:
“Do you know how precious you are?!”Why is it that all the females I have come in contact with feel so alone?
So cut off from everyone else?
I heard Pastor Lloyd say one day…
“When you’re feeling down, go and make your neighbour a batch of pikelets”
Here are some of the things that I do when I feel lonely or I’m feeling cut off from others…
- I pick up the phone (squash down all those reasons why I shouldn’t ring…ie. Cos they’re busy, cos they’ll be eating dinner, cos they won’t be able to talk) and I ring my mate….even if it’s just to leave a message on her answering machine. At least she’ll get back to me when she can.
- I invite my neighbour over for a cuppa
- I write a little note to someone who I care about
- I sms/email/blog/skype….
- I hop on Facebook and write on everyone’s wall
- I bake bickies with the kids and talk with them about who we’re going to give a batch to
- I Invite someone over for a meal or arrange to meet up in the Park
- And when I feel really really down and out, cut off and isolated…I pray!
I pray that God will send me a friend. That God would help me to be a good friend to those close to me. That God would take away the emptiness and loneliness that lies heavy on my heart like a cold flinty stone. That he would fill me up to overflowing with joy. That he would blow the cobwebs out of my head. That he would be with me, encourage me and guide me.
Do you remember that song “what a friend we have in Jesus….”
It’s so true.
There have been times I’ve felt like “there but for the grace of God go I.”
God is more of a friend than any one person could ever be. I wonder…do you know him? Have you asked him to come into your heart? Have you crawled into his loving embrace and sought out his heart?
- You are unique
- You are not alone
- You are very special
- You are one of a kind
- There is no other exactly like you
- You are valued and loved for who you are
- You are the adopted daughter of a sovereign King
- You have all you need inside to be a friend to others
Be strong and courageous
Seek and you shall find
Ask and the door will be opened to you
Be encouraged….sometimes we seem to be looking so hard for something we don’t realise it’s right there in front of our very eyes.
Love you mate xx