Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Mum = A Drink Of Water

Just as I was putting my children down to bed one day, I bent over to kiss Josie goodnight and said “Goodnight Ski-jump” to which she responded…. “Goodnight drink of water”. I laughed at what seemed like a strange choice of pet name for me, and asked why am I a drink of water? Her reply floored me;

“Mummy you are a drink of water because we (referring to her brother and sisters as well) need water, we’re not allergic to it, you give it to all of us all the time and it’s good for us”.

Suddenly I realised that what started out as one of our family games had resulted in a beautiful example of what my job as Mum is!

My bright little girl had a better grasp of what my role was than I did. She chose water because it is life-giving; nourishing; essential for life; readily available; everyone can drink it, ie/they’re not going to have an allergic reaction to it and it’s healthy! The parallels here are many…. A mother gives life to her child. A mother nourishes and nurtures her child. Her child depends on her for protection and guidance. A Mum pours herself into her children and her family. She is always there for her child, to love, support and protect. Everyone needs their Mum! And mums are good for you! Mum’s even experience their own form of precipitation!!!

It’s been said; that if you wanted to see a living, breathing physical example of Jesus today…. Just look at a mother….. Jesus is the ultimate life-giver! As essential for our daily living and dietary requirements as water itself… and lets face it, we are made up of mostly that--water! He is the definitive thirst-quencher.

My prayer for you is that you drink deeply…..

Jesus himself said…. “If anyone is thirsty, let him come to me and drink. Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, streams of living water will flow from within him.” John 7:37-38

No comments: